Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Still plugging along - SABBATICAL is wonderous

Since the last posting, I applied for and was awarded a paid, full-time, 6-month sabbatical from work to focus on my degree. What a gift!!! Studying is much easier to do in daylight hours while I am awake and alert. I am enjoying it enough that I may apply for another....

The school requires a 3-chapter dissertation proposal approved by my dissertation committee prior to being considered ABD (All But Dissertation). My timetable was to complete my proposal by October, 2009. However, planning to leave my office took more personal time than I had budgeted. The reality of the situation was that I did complete Chapter 1 by October, 2009. Wanting input from my committee and wanting them to know of my progress, my advisor and I contacted the committee members for an update meeting in late November. That was a good idea to touch base with everyone - and I received good feedback with strong suggestions.

My updated gameplan is to complete Chapter 2 by the end of January, 2010 (Yikes! that's in less than three weeks!). I am operating a bit out-of-order as part of my experiment is being conducted now even though I don't have final approval on my proposal. The risk is that my committee has the ability to challenge any part of my proposal, which may mean that I may have to redo my research and consider current research a pilot study.

No comments:

Post a Comment