Tuesday, February 9, 2010

He said that he would make me cry

My adviser just returned Chapter 3 to me with revisions and comments. When we embarked on the dissertation stage of this process, he said that he would make me cry, that he has made all his doctoral students cry! I asked him if I should just start crying now and get it over with!

Thankfully, as an older student, I have had other people make me cry - personally, or professionally, even as a student at a different institution. After awhile, you just say, hey, he or she made a comment - wonder what I can get out of it.

The good news is that he tore up Chapter 3, AND gave me specific directions on what he wants and where he wants it. He is known for his attention to detail, which is one of the many reasons I wanted him as my adviser.

I do get to giggle, though. Since my dissertation is a replication and extension of one of my advisers most recent dissertations, I forwarded that dissertation's research list to my helpful librarian. The librarian is not affiliated with the college that I am attending for my Ph.D. She took the time to point out numerous APA errors - what a delightful time that was! Considering that my adviser missed some of those details when he approved the document - however, I won't tell him.... I might make him cry!

No comments:

Post a Comment