Friday, February 13, 2009

A Little Encouragement Goes a Long Way

Although I am still waiting the results of the written exam, I decided to go out on a limb and apply for the six-month sabbatical that is offered at my work. It is an incredible opportunity - they pay for your salary for six months while you work full-time on your dissertation! You can also choose to work half-time for 12 months and get full-time pay. It seems as if I could concentrate better working full-time on my dissertation.

I was thinking about taking the sabbatical soon (like next month or so!), but it turns out that you need to apply in March for decision to be made in June for the next year. My request is to start the sabbatical ten months from now.

With the state of the economy and the overload that everyone is carrying at work, I filled out the request thinking that the paper would be shuffled from one place to another. Imagine my surprise when I received a personal letter from our company President commending me on my work and letting me know that he supported my request! He did add that the economy would make a difference and I still am unsure if I will receive it or not, but what a ray of sunshine that brought to my day!

I do hope that I receive it!

No comments:

Post a Comment